Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer in Solitude






















Almost two months have passed since I’ve been home. The life is very relaxed here. I m always seated with a novel or am watching movies of the world. Just a peep outside my window gives me immense pleasure when I look down at the green lake which is sometimes glittering in the sun or is covered with the haunting fog. The green mountains can be seen all around. Now that the monsoon has arrived, the place seems more enchanting than ever. The fog filters through the mountains, covers the lake, it even approaches me in my room if the window is open. I call my room ‘A Room With A View’. Whilst I am seated in my bed or chair I keep on admiring the beauty of my large room with carpets and candles and bookcases and classical paintings.
Then the words of true wisdom reverberate in my mind, ‘there shall be no attachment to the worldly things, for clinging to them will bring no good’. I see all my books scattered around me, some in the bed many in the big bookcases. I feel elated but again a voice calls from within, ‘this knowledge is good, but understand your inner wisdom, understand your Self’.
In these summer vacations away from the heat of Delhi, in the sylvan surroundings of Nainital, I have again lived a life of inner ecstasy. When my old pals who also reside in Delhi tell me that they like Delhi better than their hometown, I am baffled, am awestruck. I wonder how they can like that life which is so far away from the natural world, which is having all the gross elements of the material world.
These holidays were spent by me roaming with an old friend of mine in the woods of the hills of Nainital, the Tiffin-top hill and the difficult climb of the Camel’s Back hill. In these walks again I was lost in marvel and wondered at the spiritual nature of man represented by the beauty of nature. This all is within us. Other than roaming around I have been reading the Russian novels and Roman history and Greek mythology and have been watching some really beautiful movies. I saw ‘My Fair Lady’, (what a lovely movie it is), Shakespeare in Love, and among others the adaptations of various novels and books.
The Russian novels enchant me more than anything. They are so poetic, surrounded by the natural world of snow, of woods and at the same time a study in human nature, especially Dostoevsky’s literature. The merriment and the winter, so very unique and so very charming. I read the Father and Sons by Ivan Turgenev and also his short stories A Hunter’s Sketches. Almost 20 days have passed and I have not been able to finish Tolstoy’s War and Peace, it is over thousand pages long but still one never feels tired while reading it, one wants to go on and on with it. The characters Pierre, Natasha, Prince Andrei, Princess Mary and so on are all very life-like and appealing. Half of my day I am in Russia and half in Nainital. Besides these I have been reading Vivekananda and An Autobiography of A Yogi of Pramhansa Yogananda.
Now as the time is approaching of my return to Delhi, I am feeling more and more reluctant to go back. But one can’t help it can one? Time will come and go and it is fleeting still. One knows not what life has in store for him. With the grace of god everything goes on, whatever we may think, and in whatever way it does that’s the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment